Are you familiar with the Snipping Tool in Windows 7? I can’t live without it, so I decided to build Snip Tool which is a direct ripoff of Snipping Tool, but this one works in Windows XP! It’s sort of a bonus I did for my other article Installing and Using Windows XP In The Year 2017.
Usage is the same as Snipping Tool. Running the program immediately puts you into snipping mode. Simply draw a rectangle around the screen region you wish to capture.
Requires Windows XP or better and .NET Framework 4.0.
The editor serves as a live debugger and allows modifying the game objects in real-time. These are canvas sprites we’re talking about, not DOM elements. While this is still a work in progress, I wanted to share a screen capture so you can see how it might end up looking. The next screen capture shows some live editing capabilities.
I wanted to make sure this engine would be comparable or maybe even easier to use than some of the other engines out there, with the ability to build a variety of game types and not just the game I was hoping to build. For this, I decided to go with Breakouts, which is a website that aims to help other developers compare and choose a game engine. So here’s my attempt…
It’s a work in progress, please check back soon for the full article:
This GIF was recorded at 20 FPS; the game runs at 60.
Working: sound effects, level progression, game states, mouse/keyboard input, collision (a bit buggy), ball-bounce physics (a bit crude), sprites, spritesheets, sprite animations, rendering layers, async module/asset loader, fixed timestep. These are all provided by the core engine.
Not Working: power-ups, variable timestep, improved physics.
Disclaimer: I do not own the graphics depicted in this article, nor do I have permission to use them in a commercial product. The graphics were found using Google Image search, and they are being used here solely for showcasing the engine’s capabilities and progress. The tree sprites are from Here Be Monsters, and the player/wolf sprites are from Ragnarok Online.
What you’re seeing in the screen capture above is a bunch of objects (wolf sprites) being spawned with a “roam” AI package, which just makes the objects move around. This AI package idea will be expanded upon later, but it’s kind of how Skyrim AI works, mixed with Final Fantasy XII Gambits – interchangeable and override-able behavior stacks for different scenarios.
(The screen capture above doesn’t reflect 60 FPS due to gif recording at the time. It’s also a .gifv image hosted by Imgur, my apology if the buffering is choppy…)
The SpoofedMe social login exploit is a known weakness of the OAuth2 “spec”. The OAuth2 spec doesn’t define strict implementation standards, so developers have free reign to come up with some pretty wild implementations, or hack together a few libraries until it works. And that’s where the problem lies. There is no standard. Furthermore, social login is something that is normally built on top of OAuth2, and there’s no standard for that either. Some folks are trying to standardize social login with OpenID Connect (I like to think of this as “OAuth2-Strict”), but until then we will be facing issues like SpoofedMe because developers are not gods.
The SpoofedMe exploit is actually similar to this one, from a Google security advisory earlier this year:
“An attacker could forge an OpenID request that doesn’t ask for the user’s email address, and then insert an unsigned email address into the IDPs response. If the attacker relays this response to a website that doesn’t notice that this attribute is unsigned, the website may be tricked into logging the attacker in to any local account.” –Link
Thankfully, I read the spec and decided not to implement this gaping security hole in WP-OAuth to begin with. Properly identifying users to perform the account match was one of the biggest design challenges that I encountered because not only were there numerous docs and specs to work through, there were a lot of existing implementations that did it wrong. I had to start from scratch.
While I’m working on the next version of WP-OAuth – a free social login plugin for WordPress – I thought I’d drop this screenshot preview of some upcoming features.
There will be some new settings, such as having the ability to automatically logout inactive users, suppress the welcome email during registration, or assign a user role during registration (even in Multisite, which removes this option). We also have a bug fix for cloud-based hosting providers such as Heroku, courtesy of our first open-source contributor, larsschenk.
But aside from that, I’ve included provider icons for the login buttons and you’ll be able to change the icon size, choose from different icon sets, or easily design/include your own icons. This leads us towards new layouts, all of which are configurable via the settings page or shortcode attributes:
Links-Column layout, styling handled by the theme:
Buttons-Row layout, no prefix or name:
Buttons-Row layout, no prefix, name or padding:
Settings page overhaul (again), now includes a shortcode designer and fully responsive/fluid layout for mobile devices: